Subject: Re: PCMCIA cards
To: Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/20/2000 18:34:21
Hello,

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Simon Richter wrote:
> I'm thinking about leaving Linux because of the mess they made with the
> Amiga PCMCIA drivers (the only network card supported is the NE2000, and
> the driver contains a complete PCMCIA subsystem), but I couldn't find any
> resources on PCMCIA on the Amiga under NetBSD. What is the current
> status? Will I be able to use a WaveLAN PCMCIA card in my A1200?

Nah, ok, right moment to also write some words here :-) I subscribed here some
days ago, as i got my Cobra 40 for my 1200. Now i have 2 machines capable
running some Unix, an A2000 with some 68030 card, a Picasso II, and the
usual SCSI-things. Due to lack of network adapters and the missing support
for the XT bridgeboard in OpenBSD, it stands in the corner currently. I tried
to boot OpenBSD 2.7 on my A1200 with the cobra, the screen gets lightblue, but
no text appears. OpenBSD uses a slightly modified NetBSD kernel, and i want
to use NetBSD on my Amigas anyway. Does someone know if A1200s with 68030 and
NO FPU make some trouble?

PCMCIA support would be really very interesting, as i could use the NE2000
compatible device from my Notebook to give it a bit of network. How is the
state in some -current snapshot?

I'm also using NetBSD on alpha, sparc, pmax and vax and i'm also porting a bit
in port-vax when i have the time, so NetBSD is on the most non-i386 machines
here.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.