Subject: A1200 Internal IDE drive not found with 1.4.2
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew West <a_west@ntlworld.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/12/2000 19:19:24
Can someone please help me with getting NetBSD 1.4.2 to recognise my internal IDE
harddisk on my A1200?
I previously had installed NetBSD 1.3 and had no problems with that whatsoever,
during installation or use (I installed 1.3 just over a year ago). This detected and used
my harddisk straight away (I had partitioned with HDToolbox the drive as per install guidelines).

I have an Amiga 1200 with Blizzard IV accelerator (68030 @ 50Mhz, with MMU, no FPU)
with 32Mb of 32-bit RAM. It's a Samsung 3.2Gb IDE drive, set up as Master (it's the only
device on the internal IDE interface). I don't have any other harddisks or additional
hardware.

The problem is when I try to load it up initially using
loadbsd -b netbsd
after having first done xstreamtodev (I've repeated this exact same procedure with
1.3 and this version worked)

The bootup status it prints to the screen is all normal until it gets to the IDE
initialisation.

-- NetBSD 1.3 (GENERIC)  -- This works on my system

idesc0 at mainbus0 A1200 @ 0x2e20000:0x2e29000
scsibus0 at idesc0: 8 targets
idewait: error ff
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0 : <SAMSUNG, SV0322A, JK20> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 3052MB, 11024 cyl, 9 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 6250608 sectors

-- NetBSD 1.4.2 (GENERIC) -- Fails to detect harddisk

idesc0 at mainbus0 A1200 @ 0x8e20000:0x8e29000
scsibus0 at idesc0 : 8 targets, 8 luns per target

[delays, then prompts which fd0[a-p] to boot from]

It seems that 1.4.2 is looking at the wrong point in the A1200 memory map for the
harddisk (I think).

Does anyone know how I can get it to recognise the IDE drive, or do they have a
kernel compiled (1.4.2) that works on A1200 IDE drive?

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me out!

Thanks,
Andrew West   (a_west@ntlworld.com)