Re: need help with grfconfig on Picasso IV

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 03:28:34PM +0200, John Vrolijk wrote:

> Hello
>
> I need some help setting up X11 modes on my Picasso IV.
> I've read the manual page for grfconfig and also looked in the X11 install
> but still I'm lost.
>
> In the man page for grfconfig the following variables are mentioned:
>
> num clock      wid   hi dep  hbs  hss  hse   ht  vbs  vss  vse   vt flags
>
> Some of them make sense to me, but others just don't.
> I tried to find out from the "picture" in the man page of grfconfig how
> to calculate them but whatever I try, the console screen gets messed up.
> It looks like the left content is repeated to the right of the screen.
>
> I tried to generate a grfmodes file using the PicassoIV software which is
> supposed to generate a suitable file which probably needs some manual editing.
>
> Can someone explain to me the meaning of:
>
> hbs
> hss
> hse
> ht

horizontal blank start, sync start, sync end, total, in units of pixels.

ht-hse is the total display width.
ht * horizontal frequency = pixel clock.
pixel clock * wid / 8 = clock as above.

> vbs
> vss
> vse
> vt

same for vertical, in unit of lines.

vt-vse is the total display height.
horizontal frequency / vt = vertical frequency