Sound questions

Hello, all,

Audio on the Amiga, I assume, works without any issues because every Amiga
has audio, so the configuration is standard unless one wants to use
another sound card. (I assume, as my Amiga is colocated, so I can't hear
any sounds).

However, I would like to learn / know what the relationship is between the
/dev files. Which /dev talks directly to the sound hardware? How does one
control the sample rate and volume?

What is the difference / relationship between /dev/audio(x) and
/dev/pcm(x) on FreeBSD? How do I write code that does the same stuff on
Net and FreeBSD regarding audio?

Finally, when I set up my next Amiga here, how do I get 44khz output from
Paula? If I boot my kernel into Multiscan, does 44khz just work?

Thanks much,
John Klos