Re: Emacs-Help

        Hi!

"Markus A. Regli" <m.regli%suisse.org@localhost> writes:

> What I have to do, that Emacs will open its own window?? I searched in the
> Man-File and the faq for options but I found nothing. I think it should
> automatic start with an X Window if X is running. Maybe I have to change
> something in an X Config-File??

How did you install Emacs? Did you use the packages? And did you
compile it yourself, or did you get it in some precompiled form?

My bet is that you didn't install the X11 libs and header files which
are necessary in order to compile X programs. In this case, when you
compile Emacs, it will believe it is on a non-X-capable computer, and
won't include support for X. You have to install the X11 development
files before you (re)compile Emacs. The file is xcomp.tgz, and is
included in the standard NetBSD distribution.

Once you've got this file, install the files with:

# cd / && tar pxzf xcomp.tgz

where xcomp.tgz is the full path to xcomp.tgz...

If it's not the case, maybe your DISPLAY environment variable is not
set, or something like that... ? Do other X programs start properly?

  Aymeric