Subject: Re: BFFS 1.5 problems
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/29/2000 22:46:00
Quoting Eirik Nicolai Synnes (22-May-00 12:07:06):

> I can't see anything obvious errors with your setup, but here are a
> few suggestions.

>> Here what HDToolbox says about my NetBSD_root: partition:

> [...]

>> Cylinders: 3104
>> Heads: 1
>> Blocks per Track: 2864
>> locks per Cylinder: 2864

> Are you sure this is correct? If I remember correctly HDToolBox will
> only display this information based on what the drive reports (which
> may differ from what is in the RDB) as it only displays this in the
> drive initialization display. (the exception being a mountlist saved
> by AmigaOS
> 3.5 HDToolBox)

How can I know it's correct? The only way I can get this information
is via HDToolBox. No idea whether it's correct ?!?! Before, I had BFFS
1.5 beta installed with a JAZ drive, and there the used data from
HDToolBox worked perfectly.

> Icons for mount file can hold LowCyl, HighCyl, etc. settings. I'm
> not sure whether these override what is in the mount file or not,
> but if you copied an icon from another mount file then that could
> explain it.

They override the mountfile entry. I use this to change the driver
(e.g. from scsi.device to cybppc.device). But here, there are no
tooltypes inserted in the icon of the DOSDriver.

> Have you used the phase5 tools to partition the harddisk at some
> point? AFAICR there is some disagreement between HDToolBox and
> phase5's tools about some geometry setting, so they should not both
> be used on the same unit. I don't remember the details, so I can't
> tell you if this is "fatal" or not.

The scsiconfig tool from p5 spits out the same data. 2864 sectors per
track, LowCyl and HighCyl match.

> [...]

>> When I mount the partition from the Shell, nothing happens.
>> When I make a dir to the partition, a requester pops up which says:
>> "No disk present in device NETBSD_ROOT" (uppercase!?!?)

> That's exactly what I got once when I mounted a partition using
> incorrect geometry. I guess this is the filesystem's way of telling
> us it didn't find the root block.

The weird thing is that I named my DOSDriver NetBSD_root (watch the
cases). Now the requester calls for the same name, but in uppercases.

I have no idea what's going on here.

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@geohei.lu