Subject: Re: CSPPC SCSI hangs
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <ghmlist@attglobal.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/16/2000 21:13:00
Quoting Ignatios Souvatzis (14-May-00 10:18:39):

>> > Generally, if it doesn't work, its a cable or termination problem
>>
>> Hmmm ... I have my doubts here. Why should it work fine under
>> extreme conditions (24/24 hours, 7/7 days a week, many peak RW
>> accesses ...) for +1 year until now?

> But it doesn't! you told in your message before:

It doesn't when using the CSPPC SCSI with NetBSD, but with AmigaOS, it
works fine. Is that what you meant ... ?

>> The only thing the Viking doesn't like so much is sync transfer.
>> Hence, it's diabled in my AmigaOS CSPPC bootmenu.

> This indicates that either:
> a) scsi termination is wrong
> b) cable is wrong
> c) disk firmware has a bug
> d) disk driver in operating system has a bug

> As you have problems with the AmigaOS driver as well with NetBSD, I
> suspect it is not d).

I was fiddeling around with the SCSI UW termination for quite a long
time and managed to get some very deep into it (I did not volonteer ;).
I am pretty sure that the termination is fine. Here the system:

Viking UW ---/UW/--- CSPPC ---/adapter/--- streamer ---scanner

1. The Viking is actively terminated (jumper).
2. The Scanner (HP 6200C) is actively terminated (automatic).
3. ---: normal SCSI cable.
4. ---/UW/--- UW cable.
5. The adapter actively terminates the 8 data bits!

What can be wrong here?

>> > Of course, it might be some bug.
>> > please report all kernel messages related to that bus and the
>> > disk.
>>
>> dmesg you mean?

> yes.

Ok.

BFFS is still not working, hence to AmigaOS -> NetBSD communication.

ados partitions are mounted as "ro" since I don't know whether the
drivers mess up my FFS 43.20 partition or not. Is ados able to "rw"
ados safely?

As soon as I get a reliable AmigaOS <-> NetBSD communication, I'll
happily send you the dmesg output.

TIA

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg