Re: CSPPC SCSI hangs

Quoting Ignatios Souvatzis (04-May-00 22:17:26):

> On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:09:24PM +0200, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> I tried to install NetBSD 1.4.2 on my Amiga 3000. The NetBSD
>> partitions are on a harddisk which is connected to the 33c93
>> (internal) Amiga 3000 SCSI bus. Everything worked fine until I
>> selected the first archive (base.tgz) for installation. Those 13
>> archives (base.tgz, comp.tgz, ...) are stored on another harddisk,
>> which is connected to the CSPPC SCSI. The installation stopped
>> after the first 5 to 10 files of base.tgz were extracted.
>>
>> After copying the 13 archives to another 33c93 connected harddrive,
>> the installation went fine.
>>
>> Is there a known (?) problem with ados and/or the CSPPC SCSI, or
>> was it my fault that the installation hung with CSPPC SCSI?

First ... thanks for your quick response !!!

> a) Don't be angry, that I ask, but
> do you have Really Correct termination on the CSPPC SCSI?

Well, there are too many things I could do wrong for being angry ;))
The termination on the CSPPC SCSI is fine. It is actively terminated
on both ends. Of course I also considered that the CSPPC has 8 more
bits to terminate (wide SCSI). Those are terminated as well. AmigaOS
properly addresses the CSPPC connected Quantum Viking since +1 year.

> b) how many disks do you have connected to CSPPC?

At the moment only one Quantum Vikink II WSE (wide single edge 4.5
GB). However I change SCSI setups frequently. The only thing the
Viking doesn't like so much is sync transfer. Hence, it's diabled in
my AmigaOS CSPPC bootmenu.

> any strange messages from the csppc at netbsd kernel startup?

It just hangs. After CTRL-C, it says:
pax: signal caught, cleaning up.

That's it!

btw, does the generic kernel enable sync transfer on all disks?

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei%geohei.lu@localhost

... work is for people that don't know how to fly ...