Subject: Per-user and per-process memory config
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/25/2000 02:40:47
Hello,

I have a relatively well-endowed server: a 68060 with 144 megs of
ram. I've been up for 108 days with lots of users and lots of virtual
domains and so on, and she's never even hit swap.

However, twice I've had problems: once I tried compiling MySQL, but it
stopped with "swap space exhausted", and just recently I've tried emailing
a 7 meg file, and Pine quit with: Problem detected: "Can't resize memory".

In both instances, the memory used by the system was low (less than 64
megs), and the memory used by the process was around 20 megs (size in
top). Obviously I had lots more ram.

In my FreeBSD book, a file called login.conf is described that allows one
to set a login class and set stuff like maximum data size, maximum stack
size, the maximum amount of memory per process a user is allowed to lock,
and total memory per process.

Is there any such set of settings in NetBSD? If so, where? If not, what
controls the maximum amount of memory for processes and such?

Thanks,
John Klos