Subject: Re: Accelerator Boards
To: <>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/16/2000 00:39:11
> Who can suggest a good accelerator for my A3000 that still availible?
> I've been looking at the Cyberstorm and Blizzard cards. (does the
> blizzard line work on A3000's?) Are these boards supported by netbsd?

The phase 5 boards are all excellent boards, if you can get them. However,
be aware that the CyberStorm Mk II with the CyberSCSI physically won't fit
into an A3000 unless you don't mind leaving the cover off; the SCSI
literally sticks out the right side of the computer.

I couldn't use the motherboard SCSI reliably after the machine warmed up
with any accelerator board (tried the CyberStorm and the Commodore 68040),
but that was likely due to the particulars of my machine.

> If i was to purchase one of the PPC boards from Phase5 I would imagine
> that the PPC chip would be ignored by netbsd? Is there any chance of
> PPC/amiga netbsd support?

Linux APUS is all that works on the PPC as far as I know. The CyberStorm
Mk III is nice; 68060 with 64 bit RAM and wide ultra SCSI. Since my
CyberStorm Mk II / CyberSCSI in an A4000 is such a success for me, I plan
to buy one of these boards for my next production-quality server as soon
as I can find one.

> "CPU clock speed is nothing--system architecture is everything."
>  - John Blommers, Hewlett-Packard

Exactly.

John Klos
http://www.sixgirls.org/