telnet & termcap issues

Hello,

I have two questions: one that is Amiga related, the other not directly
so.

First, I have noticed that when I use MiamiTelnet to connect to a BSD
machine (both my NetBSD machine and an ISP's OpenBSD machine), I get
"login incorrect" about three quarters of the time. I have to close
MiamiTelnet and open it again in order for it to possibly work. Telnet
that comes with Geek Gadgets and ssh both work every time...

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what to do? I'm using Miami
Deluxe (the latest version).

The second question isn't directly related to Amiga NetBSD, but if
someone's had the same problem, the answer would be helpful for all: I
have over twenty users on my NetBSD box who use all sorts of telnet
clients to connect. In general, aside from the Miami problem above,
connecting from an Amiga is fine. Connecting from a Mac using NCSA Telnet
is also OK, as is using TeraTerm under Windows.

However, telnetting from another BSD machine, Linux, or the standard
Windows telnet all end up setting term values that don't work
right. Especially when talking to another user these problems are
noticeable: return comes up as ^M, backspace comes up as ^H, and so
on. Manually setting the term variable doesn't help much.

I tried taking the termcap file from the ISP's OpenBSD, as that box
doesn't have the same problems, but there's also a termcap.db file, but I
can't find instructions ANYWHERE on how to make the .db after modifying
the termcap file.

Anyone know how to fix termcap stuff?

Thanks,
John Klos
--
Using Windows NT as a server is like using a trailer on a tow hitch that's
bolted to a plastic bumper. It's all just a matter of time.