RE: Trouble installing 1.4.1

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 09:37:45AM +1300, Paul Andrews wrote:
> > > Thanks to everyone who replied. I found the problem - the MMU was
> > > disabled on the G-Force board by a jumper! Oooops! :-) Everything
> > > runs fine now - just gotta get X going...
> >
> > The _MMU_?
> >
> On my GForce board there was a jumper for the GVP MMU.  That
> MMU was only supposed to have enough functionality to allow
> the kickstart ROM to be mapped to fastmem.  In my case that
> MMU still would not have been enough to allow Linux to work
> when using the EC 68030 that my board originally came with.
>
> Your GForce board is evidently different then.  Did you
> say it had an '040 chip?  My GForce board was called a
> GForce 40, but only because it was a 40 MHZ.
>
> Fred

Yep - It has an full (i.e. not EC/LC) '040 at 33Mhz. On the cover
of the manual it is called a G-Force 040, not G-Force 40. I have no
idea what the MMU jumper is for or how it works, but it was in the
disabled position and nothing worked, as soon as I removed the
jumper to enable it everything went fine! I was given this machine
along with a big box of bits so the previous owner may have played
with the settings...
Which reminds me: I have 3 gfx cards - picasso II, EGS Spectrum and
an OpalVision - which is best for NetBSD/X Windows? I don't think
the OpalVision is supported, but of the other two does one have
any performance gains on the other (they are both Cirrus based I
think).