Subject: RE: Trouble installing 1.4.1
To: Paul Andrews <paul.andrews@smartmove.co.nz>
From: Fred Heitkamp <heitkamp@attglobal.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/17/2000 06:28:52
On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Paul Andrews wrote:

> Further investigation has revealed that *absolutely nothing* seems
> to work :-( I have tried, as well as netbsd, debian linux and redhat
> 5.1 m68k-amiga ports and all of them die after trying to boot the
> kernel during the initial install (the linux ports actually crash
> rather than lock up). Do these things work with the G-Force at all?
> (it also has a Guru-ROM on it which I forgot to mention below).
> Can anyone help?? please!!!

I only have two comments based on my experience with Linux when
I had an A2000, and a GForce 040.  First 8 MB ram is really not
enough to run anything but text consoles.  Second, does your
GForce have full  '040 or '030 chip?  Mine had a 68030EC that
did not have an MMU.  To run Linux I had to get a 68030 from
a surplus electronics store.  Also I had to get a 68882 FPU
chip as well, but that may only be required for Linux.  If your
board has a 68040 it probably has a working FPU, but possibly
not a working MMU.

Fred