Subject: Re: few, fast questions.
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Ciro Scognamiglio <moray@nemo.it>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/13/2000 18:51:29
> a log of questions, which sound like you didn't try the NetBSD
> package system yet. In detail:

ehm...yes :P

> Did you build this from the NetBSD package system? If yes, report to
> tech-pkg please. If no, you should build from the pkg system.

No, I didn't, I thought I wouldn't have had much problems building
from the official tarball dist...

The main problem is that I am too used to how Linux works, and I find
myself lost within NetBSD...But of course I'm here to learn :)
I think I'm going to read some FAQs and Docs about NetBSD, I am a
computer science student and I like using different operating systems,
you know, it's better having a more general OS knowledge instead
of focusing on only one OS.

> You would need to rewrite the Amiga grf and ite drivers to support wscons,
> first. In case you can do this, you are very welcome :-)

err...:)
Oky, so why do I have at boot time some ttys not configured?
How can I configure them so that I'm not going to have those
error messages at boot?

> Good: IMO, TeX (we have a teTeX package), possibly in combination with
> LyX, at least for small jobs.

Ok, I'll give them a try, and no, I am looking for something simple...and
good
(I used, and use, Staroffice with Linux and I think it sucks :(  )

>> 4- Same thing with a web browser, I have somewhere the sources of amaya,
>> I will try to recompile it even though someone said it's not so good...
>
> Choose from the half dozen in the NetBSD pkg tree.

But the question is: Does exists a good web browser for NetBSD?
I know (and have used) things like chimera, arena, mosaic and so on...
I do prefer Lynx to them :P

>> 5- What is the base directory where to install additional packages???
>> is /usr/X11R6 just right?
>
> Defaults for the pkgs system is

? what /usr/X11R6?
I have noticed that some packages (expecially the ones "not for X")
seems to be best placed in /usr or even / ...or am I wrong?

I had a talk with a friend of mine, he is using FreeBSD on the PC
and he explained me something like the CVS...I know (roughtly) what
CVS is, but never tried it (same thing exists for the geekgadgets that I
use for istance). Now, is the man docs of CVS enough or I have to refer
to other docs too?

thnx in advance and sorry for the FAQ questions.

P.S.
Ignatios, Why are you answering also by email? It would be better to post
to the list only...

Ciro.