Re: trapsignal(13419, 10, 0, 1, 473e)

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 06:47:46PM -0500, Ben Bogart wrote:
> I'm getting this message on my console, does not seem to be comming at any
> particular time, but it could be related to my ppp connection... (as I've
> been online everytime it has showed up.)
>
> where is it comeing from?

trap.c, lines 748 - 752, inside #ifdef DEBUG

trapsignal(13419, 10, 0, 1, 473e) decodes to:
        a) the signal is != SIGTRAP, else it wouldn't be printed.
        b) the process id was 13419
        c) the signal number is 10 (SIGBUS)
        d) the ucode is 0 (meaningless in the SIGBUS case)
        e) the virtual address is 1
        f) the program counter of the that process was at 0x473e.

My best guess is that your program tried to jump to address 1, which generates
a bus error, as the PC must always stay at even addresses.
This was most probably caused by stack corruption, caused by a stray pointer;
our compiler might have problems, but generating jumps to odd addresses isn't
one of them.

Or you're viewing WWW pages containing a buffer overflow attack (trying to put
code onto the stack and execute it) designed for a non-m68k cpu :-)

Next time, use process id to find out which process caused this. You probably
need to run ps in a loop with output to a file to catch the process id before
it dies.