Subject: Re: trapsignal(13419, 10, 0, 1, 473e)
To: Ben Bogart <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/05/2000 17:32:26
On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 06:47:46PM -0500, Ben Bogart wrote:
> I'm getting this message on my console, does not seem to be comming at any particular time, but it could be related to my ppp connection... (as I've been online everytime it has showed up.)
>
> where is it comeing from?

trap.c, lines 748 - 752, inside #ifdef DEBUG

trapsignal(13419, 10, 0, 1, 473e) decodes to:
	a) the signal is != SIGTRAP, else it wouldn't be printed.
	b) the process id was 13419
	c) the signal number is 10 (SIGBUS)
	d) the ucode is 0 (meaningless in the SIGBUS case)
	e) the virtual address is 1
	f) the program counter of the that process was at 0x473e.

My best guess is that your program tried to jump to address 1, which generates
a bus error, as the PC must always stay at even addresses.
This was most probably caused by stack corruption, caused by a stray pointer;
our compiler might have problems, but generating jumps to odd addresses isn't
one of them.

Or you're viewing WWW pages containing a buffer overflow attack (trying to put
code onto the stack and execute it) designed for a non-m68k cpu :-)

Next time, use process id to find out which process caused this. You probably
need to run ps in a loop with output to a file to catch the process id before
it dies.