Subject: Re: Upgrading to 1.4.1 from 1.3.2
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/31/1999 14:32:24
I did find a little bit of extra information in my system log. the
Generic kernel reports:

/netbsd WARNING: converted MAP_PRIVATE device mapping to MAP_SHARED (pid
180 comm Xamiga)

This does sound like the problem.

When you mean "raw install" you do mean a full install ie reformatting
partitions and doing everything again from scratch? What i did do is
use the installer to upgrade (binary upgrade) including the etc set and
then I integrated all the chages I made in etc and X11R6/lib/X11/xdm and
the config is there, everything works the same but the graphics are not
being drawn properly.

I'm a touch reluctant to do a new complete install as I've spent a few
hours making the changes in this 1.4.0 system. Should I download 1.4.1
and use that instead?

Thanks again
Ben

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 11:08:38AM -0500, Ben Bogart wrote:
>
> > My system is highly Customized, what do i need to preserve for
> > the 1.4.1 installation? for example I have an added directory in
> > / as well as XDM config files and so fourth. Will these be overwritten
> > when i upgrade? (The dir should not but what about XDM config
> > files?) What's the difference Between the X in 1.3.2 and 1.4.1? is
> > it worth upgrading those sets?
>
> basically, save everything that you added over a raw install (*).
>
> At least, all configuration files (including the X configuration files e.g.
> in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/)
>
> *) [If you need the system for Some Sort Of Real Work, make sure you
>   can restore your system from some (tape?) archive and the old
>   install floppy, before you even try changing this.]

Ben Bogart
NetBSD 1.4.0, GENERIC Kernel, Amiga 3000, 24MB Ram, 2.1GB HD, EGS
Spectrum Card.

"CPU clock speed is nothing--system architecture is everything."
 - John Blommers, Hewlett-Packard