Subject: mount_msdos and FAT Zips
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Bogart <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/16/1999 15:51:39
What type of filesystem does mount_msdos use? is it FAT or VFAT?
is the mount_msdos in version 1.4.1 updated?

I've been trying to mount a Windows NT FAT formatted zip disk but netbsd
refuses to mount it for a lacking rdb. Is there a way to install an rdb under
NT so the disk can be mounted? Or is there anyone filesystem i could use on
the zip that could be rw on netbsd and NT?

I'm stuck trying to get a non-root user to mount a filesystem. I've tried
changing both ownership and permissions of the files with no luck. Here is
what i have done:

The user trying to mount is bbogart in the wheel group.
the node the user is trying to mount to is: /mount/zip and its owned by
bbogart and has rwx permissions for group and user. I'm mounting with the
command:

mount_msdos /dev/sd1c /mount/zip
(sd1c is the only partition disklabel sees on the zip.)

The message I get back is:
from standard output:
mount_msdos: mount: Permission denied

on the console (xconsole):
sd1: no rdb found

bbogart has permissions forsd1: the mount_msdos binary as well.

Shall I give up and try again when i upgrade to 1.4.1?

Thanks for your time.

I was looking through the disklabel and disktab man pages and I wonder if that
could be my problem? I just have not properly formatted a ffs zip nor have i
configured a FAT zip in the disktab?

Earlier i used newfs without disklabel to format a ffs zip disk. I can access
the files on the zip via mount and there seems to be no problems but disklabel
says there is only one unused sd1c partition... Is there a good place for
learning more in depth about filesystems?

Thanks again!

--
Ben Bogart
NetBSD 1.3.2, Custom Kernel, Amiga 3000, 24MB Ram, 2.1GB HD, EGS Spectrum Card.

"CPU clock speed is nothing--system architecture is everything."
 - John Blommers, Hewlett-Packard