Subject: Re: problems with standard A4K IDE interface
To: John Vrolijk <dsnjvro@dsnstar.dsn.ericsson.se>
From: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/13/1999 21:03:25
John Vrolijk <dsnjvro@dsnstar.dsn.ericsson.se> writes:

> I've got a weird problem.
> I've hooked up a 1.6GB WD Caviar IDE disk to the standard A4K IDE interface,
> but the A4K won't start up unless I cut pin 1 on the cable.
> However, when I do that, NetBSD doesn't recognize the disk anymore.
> It says something like 'reset failed' on the IDE interface.
>
> Can't the IDE interface handle "modern" disks ?

I think it doesn't have much to do with the fact that you disk is modern.
It's just that the controller tries to reset the hard disk (which doesn't
reset since you cut pin 1 which is the reset pin), it doesn't succeed and
NetBSD then assumes that there is no controller present.

You can remove line 417 of /sys/arch/amiga/dev/idesc.c to make NetBSD
believe there is a controller anyway (you'll still get the message but
it should continue to boot).

	/* test if controller will reset */
	if (idereset(sc) != 0) {
		delay (500000);
		if (idereset(sc) != 0) {
			printf (" IDE controller did not reset\n");
-			return;
		}
	}

My current Amiga source tree doesn't compile at this point (I'm
changing some things) so I can't compile it for you...

HTH,
Aymeric