Subject: Re: Strange behaviour of newfs, NetBSD-1.4.1 on amiga
To: Jan Andres <jan@pitr.dinet.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/06/1999 09:49:56
[Posted and mailed]

In article <slrn84kgek.u7.jan@pitr.dinet.de>,
	jan@pitr.dinet.de (Jan Andres) writes:
> /dev/rsd0a: 1687392 sectors in 1674 cylinders of 16 tracks, 63 sectors
> uid0 on /: file system full
>
> /: write failed, file system is full
> Illegal instruction
> ---
>
> After that, the installation script continues as if newfs had worked,
> but of course crashes when it tries to mount the file system.
>
> "/" would normally refer to the miniroot filesystem in this
> environment, but I looked after the failure and there were still about
> 700k free.
>
> The "Illegal instruction" makes me believe newfs has accidently been
> compiled with 68040 optimizations so it won't run my machine. The
> floating point emulation is enabled as I see from /kern/msgbuf.

Perhaps the "Illegal instruction" error is misleading. This looks
very similar the error that once occurred on i386-1.3.3,
<http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=6211>,
where the floating point thing would not apply.  IIRC, the solution
there was to increase the number of inodes on the install disk by
adding an "-i ${INO_BYTES}" to the "newfs" command line for making
the ramdisk, but, unfortunately, that solution is not documented
--the bug's still open.

I'm going to cc this to port-amiga; maybe there's someone
there who can experiment with building a working miniroot for you,
or suggest alternatives.