Subject: Kernel compiling problems
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/02/1999 03:02:16
Hello,

I am somewhat new to BSD and I am trying to compile my own kernel (1.4.1).
As I intend to use my NetBSD Amiga as a web server that will generate lots
of traffic, I followed the suggestions for system optimisations on Apache's
site.

To that end, the (significant) changes I made to the kernel config file are:
maxusers 256 (from 8)
options NMBCLUSTERS=4096
options BUFCACHEPERCENT=30

With maxusers set to 256, I get the following error:
pmap_init:  0: 082b6000 - 0fffe000 ( 131366912)
Maxproc 4116, mem_size 128 MB: allocating 37 KPT pages
NetBSD 1.4.1 (reva_jk) #1: Tue Nov 30 05:21:58 EST 1999
    root@reva:/usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/compile/reva_jk
Amiga 4000 (68060 rev.1 CPU/MMU/FPU)
real  mem = 134217728 (16384 pages)
unexpected trap format 4 (vector offset 8) from 126b36
panic: straytrap
Stopped in  at  0xf34ee:        unlk    a6

However, if I reduce the MAXUSERS to 64, it compiles and boots.

I am currently running 22 virtual domains on Apache on AmigaOS, but will be
colocating at the beginning of next week and cannot change anything
thereafter. So does anyone know what else needs to be changed to allow a
kernel with 256 MAXUSERS? Do I need to increase NKMEMCLUSTERS (kernel
malloc space)? What exactly are NKPTADD and NKPTADDSHIFT for? The docs on
those are somewhat vague.

My kernel config file and information about my system are on a web site so
that I didn't end up sending a huge email:

http://www.sixgirls.org

Thanks much,
John Klos
--
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the