Re: grey screen with PicassoIV

Hallo François-Xavier

On 21-Oct-99, you wrote:

> Hello Markus
>
> Le 21-Oct-99, Markus A. Regli a écrit:
>
>> Hello François-Xavier
>>
>> On 19-Oct-99, you wrote:
>>

>>> I try to install netbsd 1.4.1
>>>
>>> I can't start netbsd with the Generic kernel 1.4.1. I have a grey screen
>>> just after taping "loadbsd -b netbsd".
>>>
>>> Netbsd starts correctly only if I remove my PicassoIV.
>>>

>> Maybe it's the same thing I had a few weeks ago. The kernel gives the
>> wrong frequency, so the PIV can't show the screen. I tested a few
>> frequencies and found one, which functions good. So you first need the
>> BinPatch Tool (on the Gateway-CD or FTP) for the AmigaOS. And in the
>> AmigaOS you start the following:
>>
>> binpatch -s _clconsole_mode -o 82 -r 27000000 netbsd
>>
>> at the position netbsd you have to give your whole path for the
>> netbsd-file i.e. work:bsd/netbsd or something like that.
>
> I done this patch. but this don't solve my problem. My monitor give me
> always the same frequency (53.3 khz, 85 hz) that with the generic kernel.
>
> Can you explain how to change the frequency?

The long number 27000000 stands for the frequency, I mean the pixelclock. I
don't know exactly how it splits for horizontal and vertical frequencies, but
if you increase this number the frequencies come up and to the other direction
they become smaller.
For me the 27000000 worked good, I became around 32kHZ/63Hz.

> What conig have you?

I have an A2000/Blizzard 060 96MB RAM/ECS 1MB Chip/PicassoIV/OS 3.1/IBM &
Quantum HD's, ZIP-Drive/

If you have more than 32MB RAM you have to limit it by the -m option to around
40MB, elswhere I had a problem too, with the booting.

Markus