Subject: Re: SingleUser-Problem (2)
To: Markus A. Regli <maaregli@access.ch>
From: Michael Boehnisch <billy@psycho.uni-paderborn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/14/1999 19:53:25
Hi!

Markus Regli wrote:
> I'm very new with NetBSD, so I never compiled a new kernel.
> Is it possible that you tell me where I can get your kernel,
> if you have done it?

I don't think my kernel would be of much use for you since I
trimmed it down to my hardware setup.  Support is included
for the boards I have built in my system only.

Nevertheless, building a kernel is not very hard, it only
takes some computing time.

Log in as root and perform the following steps:

Get the syssrc.tgz package and unpack it to your root directory.
The kernel sources install to /usr/src/sys.

Perform the change I mentioned in my previous mail to
/usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/amiga/vm_param.h.

cd to /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/conf and make a copy of the
file AMIGA, say MYSYSTEM.  To create a kernel with all
Amiga options built in, enter "config MYSYSTEM".  This
will create a directory /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/compile/MYSYSTEM
where the build will take place.
Once you are used to the procedure it's OK to edit the file
MYSYSTEM first and change configuration options.
The file is pretty well commented so it should be no big
deal to find out what you may throw out to reduce kernel code
size.

Now cd to /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/compile/MYSYSTEM and enter
"make depend ; make".

The rest ist automagic.  Wait until the compile is done (takes
hours, even on 68060/50MHz).  Copy your old kernel to a safe
place, eg /netbsd.old, copy the newly generated kernel to
your root dir (cp netbsd /netbsd).

Install the NetBSD boot block!  You won't need to run loadbsd
any more and you can boot NetBSD directly from the AmigaOS
boot menu.  See the installboot man page for details.

I hope this helps,

  Michael B"ohnisch