Subject: Re: 128MB limit?
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/13/1999 16:20:36
On 13.09.99, 13:25:15, Michael Boehnisch wrote:

> > I think, what you really want is to increase USRSTACK first. Try that please.
>
> I'll try that, but it's currently set to 0x0E000000 = 224MB.  My programs
> bomb out when exceeding 128MB, not 224MB (I can see this with 'top'), so
> I don't expect this to cure the problem.  Of course I migth interpret
> the meaning of the constant wrongly.

But of course, after increasing USERSTACK, you also need to increase
MAXDSIZ, too. The latter can be used as a kernel config option:

  options MAXDSIZ=0x10000000 # set maximum data size to 256MB

although I remember that compilation complained about a double
definition, but still produced a working kernel.

USRSTACK has to be changed in vmparam.h

I had the same problem with earlier versions (1.2 and 1.3), where the
default data size limit was even 32 MB. I remember that I also had to
increase USRSTACK, but was finally able to have programs which used up
significantly more than 200 MB. I don't use such huge applications on
Amiga any more, having other, faster machines now, so I'm not certain
about 1.4(.x).

I assume you also used something like "unlimit data" (in (t)csh) before
starting the program to actually use the kernel hard limit to the data
size, and not some lower limit.

--
Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.