Re: AmigaNet warning messages

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 02:18:26AM +0200, Stefan Hensen wrote:
> I already thought that the use of UDP instead of TCP could be part of the
> problem, but did not understand why this only affects the client operations
> and not the server operations. However, with limited buffer size / too slow
> CPU being the real reason, this seems to become clear, simply meaning that
> the ethernet chip is probably always fast enough to handle all data it gets
> from the CPU, but not vice versa.

Not really.

The CPU has a way to ask the chip wether it has sent the last packet, and
simply waits (or does different tasks) as long as it is busy sending.

However, for Ethernet (contrary to ARCnet) the sending machine has no way
to ask the chip at the receiving end whether the receiving CPU has emptied
the chip buffer... so packets that arrive too fast simply get lost, or
overwrite older packets.