Subject: Re: old X, new 1.4.1pre
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/15/1999 14:35:06
On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 12:41:28AM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 11:20:34PM +0200, ali (Anders Lindgren) wrote:
> > off topic: I'm looking into plip, which seems be available
> > in port-i386. I've never written any kernel- or IP code --
> > would it be too difficult for me to have a go at it without
> > previous knowledge? I want to connect my newly acquired
> > (I'm not joking :-) ) 486 to my amiga, and plip seems
> > like the most attractive solution.

> Amiga-PLIP is different from i386-PLIP. You lose, unfortunately.

As Ali was quite astonished:

Intel-PLIP was developed for the original unidirectional parallel ports.
the 4 control lines on the chip were freely programmable and used as inputs
for PLIP.

The Amiga parallel port uses an intelligent chip, that a) is bi-directional
and b) does automatic handshaking (to a certain degree). The result of b) is
that one of the 4 control lines is NOT freely programmable as input, but can
only be used to create interupts when a transition occurs.

This is no problem for Amiga-PLIP, which uses the 8 data lines bidirectionally
and uses the a few of the control lines to negotiate transfer direction and
the handshaking lines to do handshaking. But the side effect is that
Amiga-PLIP and intel-PLIP can not, and never will!, interoperate. For hardware
reasons.

(Of course it should be possible to write a Amiga PLIP for the modern PC
printer ports (ECP), which are bidirectional. But this would be different
from Intel PLIP.)

If you want to write any of this, feel free.