Subject: Re: setting up the network
To: Jens Dueholm Christensen <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Eirik Nicolai Synnes <eirikns@ifi.uio.no>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/10/1999 17:18:00
Jens Dueholm Christensen <jens@dueholm.dk> wrote:

>> This is not for the faint of heart, but you could always use the slip
>> (sl0) or PPP interfaces.

>Hmmm.. the only interface I can configure during the install is eon0, so I
>don't know how or where or when to configure sl0

The NetBSD/Amiga Networking FAQ has a section about this. It hasn't been
updated since 1997, but it should be enough to get you started. I believe
this approach works from the miniroot fs, though I have never tried it
myself so there may be more to it.

http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/NetBSD/NWF/nwf_28.html#SEC28

You can skip the stuff about kermit. The last route command is not necessary
either, I think. To activate RTS/CTS add -h to the slattach command line,
before /dev/tty00.

The builtin serial port should handle a speed of 19200, but you could try
with 38400 or 57600. The latter two will probably give you a lot of "silo:
buffer overflow" errors which indicate that Paula is having trouble keeping
up, which in turn may degrade the performance so much that it would make
more sense to use a lower baudrate. (when building your own kernel later on
there are some options in the config file you could try out which may
improve the performance)

Adding link0 at the end of the last ifconfig line will activate Van Jacobsen
header compression.

You don't say what TCP/IP software you have in the other end of the cable,
but if it is NetBSD then you just do the same thing there. If it is some
other stack then you need to configure it to set up the slip line without
any login-stuff (dip, kermit, etc.). I have successfully used this approach
against MiamiDx and Linux/APUS.

--
eirik synnes - http://www.ifi.uio.no/~eirikns/ - irc anet: teq - Team AMIGA