Subject: Re: Spectrum issues revisited
To: Amiga NetBSD port <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Abt <tabt@gmx.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/29/1999 23:24:37
>  Problem: ados volumes can be mounted read-only. Is there any, any, any
>  way around this, however obscure? If this was possible, I could test
>  binpatch'd kernels simply by loading them from AmigaOS, C-A-A if they
>  don't work, and try the next one. As it is now, I have to copy the
>  kernel to /, halt, switch computer off, plug in Spectrum, switch on, boot;
>  if it doesn't work as expected, C-A-A, switch off, plug Spectrum out,
>  switch on, boot, try next kernel. A lot of unnecessary wear on the machine,
>  IMHO.

Of you just want a small partition that is writable from both OS'es, why
not use a small NetBSD partition? If you "newfs -O" it, you can use an
older version of the bffs filesystem for the Amiga and write to it. (1.2
or 1.3, I am not sure which one, I haven't installed NetBSD lately... :-)

I would also set this partition "noauto 0 0" so that the boot process is
not interrupted by some unset bits and put a "fsck -y /dev/* ; mount ..."
to rc.local.

At least this is the way I have done it for years and I am happy with it.

Bye,                 \|/
  Tobias             @ @
| Tobias Abt                           |
| email: tabt@gmx.de                   |
|   www: http://home.pages.de/~tabt/   |