Subject: Re: a hint on /dev/grf3 problems..
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Lehners <Joerg.Lehners@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/21/1999 23:08:15
Moin !

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 07:06:08PM -0600, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> >   I haven't tried tracking it down yet.  My first step was going to be looking at
> > the kernel printf() and seeing if it does something that might interact with the
> > graphics chip.
> hm. as long as the console isn't captured by xconsole or similar, it will
> bash the hardware (that is, call the text output routines of the currently-
> in-charge grf driver).
> Some driver(s) switch back to text mode when this happens, but most do not,
> I think.

Seems so. I can reproduce a garbled X-Screen at will: starting
the X-Server without redirected /dev/console results in a messed up
screen (looks a bit like only every 8th bit is under the control
of the X-Server).
Starting the X-Server with redirected /dev/console (currently with
xconsole running via network display) produces these messages
WARNING: converted MAP_PRIVATE device mapping to MAP_SHARED (pid 386 comm Xamiga)
WARNING: converted MAP_PRIVATE device mapping to MAP_SHARED (pid 386 comm Xamiga)
on the now redirected consol window and gices a functioning X-Screen.

Hardware: Amiga 3000 Desktop, CyberStorm MKII 060, Picasso IV.
Software: Netbsd 1.4.

  Joerg
--
Mail: Joerg.Lehners@arbi.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE
Real: Joerg Lehners, Informatik ARBI, Uni Oldenburg, D-26111 Oldenburg