X11 problems on CV64 (grf5)

Hi,

I've finally come around to testing what caused my X11 trouble on my
A4000 with CyberVision 64, 4MB.

If I don't specify the grf device to use explicitly ("-dev /dev/grf5),
one of two things happens:

- If the kernel has custom chip graphics support, the server exits
immediately after starting up, leaving the system running normally
otherwise.

- If the kernel lacks CC graphics support, the Xserver opens a screen,
and then the machine hangs until I reset it (via keyboard reset or
power cycle). The machine is completely dead und does not even respond
to ping.

If I specify the device to use, the Server runs fine in all kernel
configurations and modes. (Started directly as root, started by xdm or
started by an unprivileged user via startx.)

My hardware: Amiga 4000 with 2MB ChipRAM, WarpEngine 4040 with 96 MB
FastRAM, CV64 with 4MB, Ariadne, MFC-III, Toccata (not configured).

--
Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.