Subject: Re: ext2fs partitions on Amiga
To: Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/28/1999 22:20:25
On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 08:30:00PM +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:
> Ignatios Souvatzis writes:
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 08:06:37PM +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:
> >
> > >  I was never able to mount ext2 partitions.
> >
> > Is there any standard DOSTYPE Linux uses to mark ext2fs partitions in the
> > RDB?
>
>   0x4C4E5800 (LNX\0) - for Linux native partitions (ie. ext2).

what others? does it mark minix the same way?

>   0x53575000 (SWP\0) - for swap space.

Hm, yes. if this was recognized, it could be added as swap partition.

You know what? as adding any partition to the recognized set will shift
BSD partition letters, I only want to make _one_ change.

If changing the mapping at all, we should add all partitions we might ever
want to know about (I remember somebody mentionds "MSDx", and I asked wether
this was enforced by the filesystem software he uses, but dont remember
having consciously read the answer), think about multiple swap partitions
per drive, etc.

And have a backward compatibility option.

I'm afraid its a bit late for 1.4.
We might want to put it in for 1.4.1, though, and provide a patch set for
knowledgable people.

Does this sound acceptable?
	Ignatios