Subject: Newbie inquiry...
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: None <sidersk@squared.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/20/1999 10:18:12
I hate it when this happens...

I just got a copy of NetBSD 1.3.3 from Bob Nestor (thanks Bob) and started
through the installation procedures. I managed to get around a problem with
xstreamtodev and the CDROM (looped continuously) by copying the
installation and binary trees under NetBSD-1.3.3/amiga to a SyQuest and
executing from there. So presumeably now the swap partition has the
miniroot.fs image installed. When attempting to "loadbsd -b netbsd" (and
adding to the pathing accordingly, and yes, the execute bit is set), I get
the message from loadbsd about the available memory and the RAM location
where it's loading code. The screen then goes to a blank grey, the floppies
get polled, first df0: to df2: then df2: to df0:. At that point the machine
just stops. A soft reboot won't work (I get evidence of system reset but it
won't boot).

A hard reboot and check of the boot screen menu shows also that my /usr
partition is not in the list, only /root and /swap. /root and /usr are the
third and fourth partitions on the drive respectively while the first two
are AOS partitions. /swap is on a separate 40Meg drive. The ixemul.library
version is 47.3. The rest of the system is: A3000/030-16 w/2M chip/16M
fast; GVP Spectrum w/2M; Multiface III; Quantum 540M and 40M SCSI drives;
SyQuest EZ135 SCSI; NEC SCSI 2x CD Changer (only CD0: is mounted in AOS).
Using the ECS display as my SVGA monitor was confiscated by the family for
the PC.

Any assistance greatly appreciated as the installation notes haven't given
any indication of where to go from here, or what to expect when executing
"loadbsd".TIA.

Keith
Reply to: keith.siders@nashville.com

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."