Subject: Re: Big hard drives
To: Port Amiga <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/10/1999 16:49:41
On 10.04.99, 14:13:38, Patryk =A3ogiewa wrote:
> Napisane 09-Kwi-99 przez: Ignatios Souvatzis...
>=20
> You have written "blocks". Thus if the blocksize (aka fs fragment size?) =
is
> e.g. 1024 bytes - then NetBSD can access 4*(1024^4) i.e. 4096GB. Right?

No, the BSD ffs has blocks and frags, which are different. Typical block
size is 8k, frag size 512 bytes, but different values can be chosen
when 'newfs'ing.

I hope I'm making sense.

>=20
> Understood. I can do it this way: 'root' - within the limits. 'swap' and =
'usr'
> above. But this applies only if one wants to boot NetBSD from the bootblo=
ck I
> suppose? Otherwise all can be placed above AFAI understand.

Yes, but using AmigaOS partitions above the limit is still not advisable,
since, as Ignatios pointed out, there are almost half a dozen half-cooked
ways of doing that.