Re: BSD vs ?

In message <923638602%f2020.n147.z1.ftn@localhost>, Rich Holtzschue writes:
>     I have heard that some flavor of BSD has been avail for Amiga for some yr
>now.  Seems like I recall seeing one of our Amiga group members (Oklahoma Amig
>Comuter EnthusiastS - OACES) demoing BSD on his A3K at leat 4 yrs ago.  Linux
>it's various forms has only just recently started migrating to our platform.

Well, I started using NetBSD on my Amiga 3000 in 1994 (as I recall,
there was an Amiga Linux 'port' at the time, but it wasn't anywhere near
usable).

>     Does BSD in it's various flavors use the Linux kernel?

No, NetBSD is a completely different kernel than Linux.

>     Does BSD have multi-threaded capability?

There are some userland threads packages, but no kernel threads yet.
It's supposedly being worked on.

>     Does FreeBSD have cfgs for diff platforms?

A couple, but not nearly as many as NetBSD, and not the Amiga.