Big hard drives

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know the exact specifications of the (in)famous 4GB hard drive
limit?

AFAIK it is the matter of the number of addressable blocks but what are the
_exact_ limits? Drive size? Partitions size?

Why do I ask here? Since I've heard that NetBSD has no problems accessing the
drives above the limits, I want to use All the HDD space that can be accessed
from AmigaOS - for AmigaOS and all that is above the limits for NetBSD.

Could someone confirm or deny if I am right thinking this way? And give me
clues about the exact limits or at least what exactly causes them so I could
calculate them myself.

Thanks in advance.

--
      / /