Subject: BSD vs ?
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Rich Holtzschue <Rich.Holtzschue@f2020.n147.z1.fidonet.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/09/1999 06:54:00
Greets-

     I have been lurking on this ML trying to learn a few things.  Since
changes for the BBS here are coming then I have some decisions to make.

     I have heard that some flavor of BSD has been avail for Amiga for some yrs
now.  Seems like I recall seeing one of our Amiga group members (Oklahoma Amiga
Comuter EnthusiastS - OACES) demoing BSD on his A3K at leat 4 yrs ago.  Linux in
it's various forms has only just recently started migrating to our platform.

     I have an IT professional/hacker/programmer/sys admin friend that is
sending me his 2 A3Ks.  We (OACES) are currently using an A3K for this BBS.  I
was thinking of networking them together.  Since *nix, unlike Amiga OS, is
multi-user, as well as multi-tasking and a naturally network biased OS, I was
thinking of making the move to some flavor of *nix.

     I have heard that Red Hat, Debian, and Eagle are some of the Linux flavors
avail for Amiga.  I have also heard that ppl visiting Red Hat booth at the last
con indicated that tech support would not be avail in the immediate future as
there was not, ATT, enuff of a user base on Amiga to support it.  Since Red Hat
seems to be the most popular ATM then I would suspect this would be true of the
other packages as well.  This would mean that the only support one could get for
Linux would be a user based ML such as this one.

     Some questions.

     Would these questions be covered by info on the BSD web site?  If yes then
answer this question and ignore the rest.

     Since BSD has a longer history with Amiga than the others, is there some
flavor of official BSD tech support (other than this ML)?

     Does this ML have an official BSD rep that can give an assist when needed?

     Does BSD in it's various flavors use the Linux kernel?

     Does BSD have multi-threaded capability?

     Does FreeBSD have cfgs for diff platforms?

     Is the latest FreeBSD still in Beta?

     How much overhead does BSD require (min RAM/HD space/cpu/speed)?

     What major (or possibly minor) diffs are there to watch for between BSD
and Linux in it's various incarnations?

     I must say, having subed to a few MLs, that I'm impressed with the helpful
mature business like atmosphere of this ML.  Finest kind.

     Thanx for any and all info/advice/assistance.

        _rich_        AmigaLine BBS sysop       member Team *AMIGA*