Subject: Re: RAM and X
To: B. Bogart <bbogart@iname.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/30/1999 08:08:32
On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 01:47:46AM -0800, B. Bogart wrote:
> Hello! this is a very strange little question taht i don't expect anyone to be
> able to answer but the infomation would be very valuable to me.
>
> I run an Amiga 3000, with EGS-Spectrum Card, 2.1GB HD, 4MB Fast, GENERIC
> Kernel.
>
> because of the EGS card my computer ctually ends up with 1.8MB for netbsd, I

EGS eats RAM? I dont think so... but the NetBSD kernel and a few very static
tables which are preallocated and not pageable make this RAM inaccessible for
"normal" use.

So: you're telling us NetBSD boots and works (including X) with 4 MB? Fine to
have this confirmed! Thanks!

> have run X and it works but definatly VERY slowly. I wanted to know how much
> of a speed increase i could expect from upgrading to 16MB of ram? (14 after
> egs card)

Factor of 10. (Guess, no measurement).

When I upgrade by ECS Amiga 3000from 8 to 12, it felt like a factor of 3, and
when I upgraded from 12 to 16, another 3.

Regards,
	Ignatios