pppd help

Hello, I am having troubles using pppd. I have an A3000, 2.1GB HD, 4MB ram,
EGS-Spectrum card, netbsd 1.3.2, generic kernel.

I am using pppd /dev/tty00 defaultroute crtscts connect 'chat -vf
/etc/connect' to connect. my /etc/connect file just has:

''Connect atdt555-2321'' (but the proper number for my ISP)

when i start pppd i get the error (after the modem connects) saying that the
serial line is looped back.. what does this mean? I am also getting silo
overflow messages at boot-up.

Thank you
Ben Bogart