Subject: Re: Amiga and Retina ZII
To: Amiga NetBSD port <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/01/1999 12:39:28
On 27.02.99, 15:07:28, Tobias Abt wrote:

> For the A3000 I would rate graphics boards in this order (best first):

For NetBSD the order is definitely different ...

> - PicassoIV (has flicker fixer which is not a necessity for
>   A3000 users but this one can do more than 50/60 Hz)

The Cirrus Logic boards are only supported in 8bit, which does
not make them first choice for NetBSD. This inlcudes Spectum, all
Piccolo and all Picasso boards.

See the INSTALL.X11 file for NetBSD-1.3.3/amiga

> - CyberVision 64 (has display switch and can therefore show
>   the Amiga signal when not active, blitter is slower as the one
>   on the PicassoIV)

This is undoubtedly the best board for NetBSD, it is quite fast,
supports 8, 15, 16, 24 and 32 bit modes.

> - CyberVision3D (ScanDoubler does not work on A3000, so NO display
>   switch, about as fast as the CV64)

This one should theoretically be about as fast as the CV64, but (a)
the ViRGE Chip cannot be overclocked as much as the Trio64 from
theCV64, (b) it is only supported in 8bit modes, and (c) I quote from
the Xamiga man page: "Dumb Chunky Framebuffer for the CyberVision64/3D
Graphics board", which means: no blitter support.

> - Retina BLT Z3 (NO display switch, about as fast as the Piccolo
>   SD64)

Under NetBSD this is second choice, I had both a Retina Z3 and a CV64,
and there is not a big difference speed-wise. Both perfrom very well
and both are the only ones to support high color and true color modes.

> A2000 can't use CV64 and Retina BLT.

Unfortunately true, for those PicassoII(+) or IV might be alright.

--
Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.