Re: Compiling a kernel for 68060

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 10:06:17PM +0100, Anders Skargren wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > You don't have options BB060STUPIDROM, and after you copied GENERIC to
> > > amelia060
> > > you forgot to config, or you forgot to "make clean",
> > >
> > > and you only tried to boot without startup-sequence, or with the
> > > bootblock.
> >
> > ---[conf/amelia060]---
> > #options        BB060STUPIDROM  # You need this, if you have a non-DraCo
> >                                 # 68060 with an OS ROM up to (at least)
> >                                 # V40 (OS3.1) and want to boot with the
> >                                 # bootblock.
> >                                 # You don't need this if you have a DraCo,
> >                                 # have no 68060 or NEVER use the bootblock
> > ---
> >
> > That part is true. But as I read it, I don't need it if I choose not
> > to use the bootblock, ever. The second sentence makes the statement a bit
> > ambiguous though. So, I do in fact always need it?
> >
> > > I noticed the list is very slow, thats why I send you the duplicate.
> >
> > It's always nice with "personal" support... ;-)
>
> So let me explain it in open: Phase5 68060 boards don't admit in ROM driver
> code that an 68060 is in. (Remember, your AmigaOS ROMs dont know about 68060!)
>
> So the "68060 is here" bit is only set after the 68060.library is loaded by
> your
> startup sequence (I think).
>
> BB060STUPIDROM makes the kernel ask the CPU wether it is an 68060.
>
> So, you need this optionif you boot without loading 68060.library, which is
> - without startup sequence or
> - from the bootblock.

Hi,

Thanks! As usual your suggestions work. Making sure that setpatch is run
before booting BSD makes it function correctly. I'm now running my own
(smaller) kernel with support for more than 24 MB RAM. Didn't realise
that the BSD startup code does not check the type of CPU itself without
the BB060... option. Time to start reading the source I guess ;-).

I still think the comment on this option is a bit vague though. Perhaps
setpatch should be mentioned?

                                              - Anders -