Re: Compiling a kernel for 68060

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Bernd Sieker wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > am probably missing something. When I boot the new kernel it does not
> > recognize the 68060 but thinks it's a 040 and then panics after a while. I
> > refetched the kernel sources after the first time with no avail, tried
> > some compiler flags second time, etc (don't remember, it was a while ago).
> >
> > Even if I just copy the generic config and compile that it fails to boot.
> > The kernel thinks the 060 is a 040:
> > ---
> > Sep  9 13:16:20 f190 /netbsd: NetBSD 1.3.2 (amelia060) #0: Mon Sep  7
> > 03:14:12 CEST 1998
> > Sep  9 13:16:20 f190
> > /netbsd:haze@f190:/usr/local/src/sys/arch/amiga/compile/amelia060
> > Sep  9 13:16:20 f190 /netbsd: Amiga 500/2000 (m68040 CPU/MMU/FPU)
>

> You _must_ have these two options enabled in your kernel config file:
>
> options       M68060          # support for 060
> options       M060SP          # MC68060 software support (Required for 060)

They are, trust me.

> Other than that I could not think of anything. Don't try some compiler
> flags of your own, those are more likely to break the kernel than
> enhance it, if you're not absolutely sure of what you're doing.

It was only when things did not work "out of the box" that I started
changing them.

> If you only copied the GENERIC file to a config file that existed
> before, "make clean" in the compile directory (after doing "config
> amelia060"), before making "depend" and "netbsd". It's generally a
> good idea to clean all the object files when you changed some global
> options.

Yepp, I'm pretty sure I did this twice with no avail. Once when I
refetched the sources and once again at a later stage. Will have another
go at it though. Does the gcc distributed with the basic sets support the
060 completely?

                                              - Anders -