Subject: A3000, hardware troubles with NetBSD1.3.2
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: B. Bogart <bbogart@iname.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/07/1998 19:42:03
Hello,

I am running on an Amiga 3000, with 4MB Fastram (I have removed my Microbotics
card), EGS Card, 2.1GB Seagate HD. NetBSD1.3.2, GENERIC Kernel

I have previcously installed NetBSD1.3.2 succesfully, by a lot of tweaking
with the install script. (because the install script would crash just as it
was about to install the sets) Everything went well until i tried to compile
my own kernel, it would crash the kernel during the final Make command. I
thought this might also be related to my card, so i removed it. first off
loadbsd did not work the same way, i could not boot netbsd without turing off
the startup sequence. The error I got was:

loadbsd: failed malloc 1771656
: Undefined error

this error is not produced when i run loadbsd without running the
startup-sequence, also previously netbsd would not boot when i tried starting
it from the bootblock, and now that does work.

After taking out the card did not solve my kernel compile problem I thought
reinstalling netbsd might work, as the card is no longer causing a problem but
the exact same crash occurs.

the bottom line is that my stock A3000 rea;lly does not like netbsd and i want
to know why! I was considering getting the Simmfonie board to replace my
missing 16bit memory, but its not worth it if it does not solve my problems,
what are the probably causes of these symptoms? I would appriciate any input
from anyone serious about Amiga Hardware.

Also another intersting fact, when i turn off my a3000 and turn it on again,
it does not boot, just get a white screen, that later turns black and it just
sits. thew first reboot after that and a red software failure will come up.
after clicking the left button the amiga boots fine.

do i have some fryed chips? memory perhaps? I would entertain any suggestions
on how to fix this. also if anyone knows of any companies doing amiga hardware
repair i would love an email address to see if they have any ideas on the
problem.

Thanks for your time
Ben Bogart