Subject: packages (was: MySQL)
To: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
From: Joern Clausen <joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/10/1998 17:07:51
Hi!

> Our mkisofs does work on m68k, in fact for quite some time (since pkgsrc
> froze for 1.3.2). AFAIK Ignatios provided and tested the fix.

Including Rockridge Extensions? Cool. But then: Has the patch been sent
to the original mkisofs maintainer? If there still is one, that is...

> Well, being one of the package maintainers I can only tell that I try my
> best to test the packages I commit

... and I expected you to protest ;)

> but it should be obvious that I
> don't have access to all architectures NetBSD supports. Thus it is
> pretty possible that a package does not work on a specific architecture
> while it works on those tested. Thats were useres like you come in
> the game who can use send-pr to report/fix such problems.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I don't use pkg at all. I was just
looking into the pkg-patches when I was installing PostgreSQL to see,
if the problem was solved there.

This is IMHO the other problem with pkg: Whom should I send a bug-report (or
worse: a patch)? The package maintainer, or the original developer of the
software? If I send it to the package maintainer, it would be lost for all
other users not using the pkg-system.

--
     Joern Clausen                  email: joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE