Subject: Re: MySQL
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Joern Clausen <joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/10/1998 12:26:45
Hi!

>  Another option would be postgresql, part of the pkgsrc already.
> I am trying to compile is RSN.

That doesn't work either, at least not on m68k, at least not the postmaster.
Only the clients work. Currently, I have a Postgres server running on a
NetBSD/i386 box, and access it from my Amiga. Not very nice, but at least...

The problem is known to the PostgreSQL-team, but there seems nobody
to be working on a fix right now. *If* this could be fixed, this would
be Really Nice ;)   (And no, I am not the one who will fix it, because
I have no idea what's going wrong).

BTW: This is one reason, why I am a little bit sceptic about the pkg
system. Although there is a package for PostgreSQL, it doesn't work on
certain architectures. Another example is probably mkisofs, which works
on e.g. i386, but fails on m68k (unless somebody fixed it recently).
Just because a program compiles, it doesn't mean it works. Which leaves
me with the impression, that some package maintainers have not tested
their software.

Is it possible to limit a package only to certain architectures?

--
     Joern Clausen                  email: joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE