Re: X11 makes me crazy more and more!!

"Alfio Lo Castro" <alfio.lo.castro%ede.it@localhost> wrote:
[..]
>Ok, I did it... but no news!
>I have tried to comment something (as xclock, xterm etc... but no twm) in my
>xinitrc,
>well, now after "startx" nothing happens! (Exits to shell after 5 seconds
>without doing anything)
>
>Why?

Just a guess, but might it be the case that you start
*all* programs in your .xinitrc in the background?

The last program - usually the window manager - must
not be postpended by an ampersand sign "&" or else
X immediately quits after going through the rc file.

Just to make my point a little clearer, here is an
example .xinitrc, using ctwm as Window manager:

----- 8< ----- cut here ----- 8< -------------------------

#!/bin/csh

xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults
xterm -g 80x5+0+0 -n `CONSOLE` -C &
xterm -g 80x40+0-0 -n `uname -n` &
nice xclock -g 90x90-0+0 -bw 0 &
nice xv -rmode 0 -quit $HOME/tmp/patterns/SpotsBigLight &
ctwm

Note, there is no "&" behind the "ctwm" call!

I hope this helps...

    Billy.