Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: blizzppc.device and NetBSD 1.3.2
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Adam Jones <adam@yggdrasl.demon.co.uk>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/04/1998 20:03:21
Hi all...

> How different is a PPC Amiga from a normal one? Is it just an Amiga
with a
> totally different CPU (I know how the PPC instruction set looks like,
I once
> read the 601 reference manual briefly when I saw it in a library) or
is it to
> be considered a completely new machine?

A PPC amiga has both 680x0 and PPC CPUs on board.  This could raise
interesting possibilities - anyone know how NetBSD is on SMP support?

Could you, for example, farm off a lot of the device managment and
mundane drudge work to the 68k (which should be amply able to cope with
it) thus freeing up the PPC for "real work"?  This might have the
advantage of being able to keep a lot of the original Amiga kernel.
--
Adam Jones (adam@yggdrasl.demon.co.uk)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
.oO( "You are the handbasket taking us to hell."                       )