Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: blizzppc.device and NetBSD 1.3.2
To: Rasmus Wiman <rasmus@ebox.tninet.se>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/03/1998 19:57:30
On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 02:50:52PM +0100, Rasmus Wiman wrote:

> I have a couple of times thought of trying just a recompile of the Amiga
> Kernel, but changing the cpu option to "CPU=PPC" or whatever the option is. I
> suppose this implies a change in files.amiga and the other files in
> /sys/arch/amiga/conf/ too. How well would this naive approach work (or
> probably: how horribly would it fail?) Also, loadBSD would have to be modified

Very.

> to give let the PPC take over, as well as the bootblocks. The main problem is
> that I don't think I have enough space on my hard disk, neither do I have a
> PPC card.

I suggest that you get m68551, m68030, m68040 and m68060 User manuals, and try
to understand what a NetBSD/m68k kernel actually does, besides calling drivers
(which is the easiest part).

Next, get the ppc603 or 604 manuals from the MOtorola or IBM www sites, and
try to understand what a PowerPC kernel would need to do in place.

After 4 weeks of eveningly reading, come back and ask again, and we can discuss
details :-) Ok, maybe less than 4 weeks, depending on your schedule.