Subject: blizzppc.device and NetBSD 1.3.2, concerning recompiling Amiga Kernel
To: None <rasmus@ebox.tninet.se>
From: Allen B. Reeves <abreeve@afterlife.ncsc.mil>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/03/1998 11:07:07
	From port-amiga-owner-abreeve=afterlife.ncsc.mil@netbsd.org  Thu Sep  3 09:20:36 1998
	Date: 03 Sep 98 14:50:52 +0100
	From: "Rasmus Wiman" <rasmus@ebox.tninet.se>
	Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: blizzppc.device and NetBSD 1.3.2
	To: "Matthias Scheler" <port-amiga@netbsd.org>

	01-Sep-98 22:48:39, Matthias Scheler (tron@lyssa.owl.de) wrote:

	>NetBSD is a complete operating system which doesn't use any of the AmigaOS
	>device drivers. To a support any kind of hardware a special driver has to
	>be written.

	I have a couple of times thought of trying just a recompile of the Amiga
	Kernel, but changing the cpu option to "CPU=PPC" or whatever the option is. I
	suppose this implies a change in files.amiga and the other files in
	/sys/arch/amiga/conf/ too. How well would this naive approach work (or
	probably: how horribly would it fail?) Also, loadBSD would have to be modified
	to give let the PPC take over, as well as the bootblocks. The main problem is
	that I don't think I have enough space on my hard disk, neither do I have a
	PPC card.

	                        Rasmus  Wiman
	                      --=============--
	                   THE LAST SURFER IN HELL

	rasmus@ebox.tninet.se (Preferred)
	razz@lysator.liu.se (also possible)
	http://www.lysator.liu.se/~razz
	http://user.tninet.se/~iyu219n

Rasmus,
	This sounds like an excellent idea, if you had a copy of the Amiga Kernel
source code, because it gets to the root of several compatibility problems the
Ami Kernel has for increasing it's capabilities.  But, where, how, do we get
a copy of the kernel, or buy licensing rights to get it, so we can make code
changes and submit them to the Gateway folks for incorporation if they so choose
like the NetBSD program works so well.  Also, we can't have 40 different Amiga
Kernels running around (must have configuration control) to maintain some sanity
about these developments, like is done with NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, etc.

Allen B. Reeves               Department of Defense
abreeve@afterlife.ncsc.mil           (301)688-0896w