Subject: Re: R: X11 is killing me!!
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bernd@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/02/1998 11:33:41
On 02.09.98, 09:53:05, Alfio Lo Castro wrote:
> >One more thing: do you have enough memory/swap?
> >
> > - Adam
>
> Yes, I think.
> I have 96 MB on my Amiga but NetBSD starts with 42 MB (i have 80 MB on
> Cyberstorm 060)

The generic kernels are built with the limitmem option (I think it's
24 MB, not 42). To use all the memory you need to make a custom
kernel.

> my swap partition is large 96 MB.

That should suffice.

> I have tried OpenWin with the same results (but with no error messages).
> When I say "system hangs", I want to mean "waits without no return to
> shell". (cause my backspace is "out of order" I cannot press

Now what exactly do you mean by "without no return"? (I assume that
you mean "without return")

X11 should, of course, not return to the console unless terminated.
It should, however, in the default configuration (i. e. started by
startx with no personal .xinitrc file in your home directory)
open some xterms and a few other things.

> CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE).

Repairing your Backspace key sounds like a good idea. Opening the
keyboard and cleaning the contact "rubber" of the key and the contact
on the circuit board will usually "heal" broken keys.

> Another question: my NetBSD tells me on startup that tty0 to tty6 are not
> configured (but not tty7), is normal? If not, how can i configure them?

Change the word "on" to "off" in the respective lines in the file
/etc/ttys These are the consoles on other graphics boards, tty7 is
your graphics board, so it is configured and works.

--
Bernd Sieker