Re: -csh (tcsh)

Georges Heinesch writes:
> Quoting Lars Hecking (25-Aug-98 14:03:51):
>
> >> While saying 'ps -j', I get the following (shortened):
> >>
> >> USER       PID  PPID  PGID   SESS JOBC STAT TT       TIME COMMAND
> >> root       244   241   244 6c0ac0    0 Is+  p0    0:00.35 -csh (tc
> >> root       242   233   242 6c02a0    0 Ss   p1    0:00.42 -csh (tc
> >> root       220     1   220 6c10c0    0 Is   e5    0:00.58 -tcsh (t
>
> >> 2. What does the shell in brackets mean?
>
> >  The name of the command that was invoked, as opposed to the name it
> >  was invoked with.
>
> Sorry, I didn't get this one.
>
> The name in brackets is the name of the command that was invoked. This
> would mean that tcsh was invoked 3 times. This semms to be correct.
>
> But what is then the shell just right after the '-' (csh [twice] and
> tcsh in my example above)?

 Example: I have installed tcsh locally on my Solaris box, and I have a
 softlink from tcsh to -tcsh. The default shell for users is csh, and I
 exec -tcsh in my .login. Thus, in a ps style listing like yours above,
 the shell would show up as  .... -tcsh (tcsh).

 Under NetBSD, csh is really tcsh. Can't check the details now, I'd have
 to take out the gfx board to boot into NetBSD :-|

> In which man pages can I find more about this '-csh (tcsh)' business?

 It's described in the man pages for csh on eg. Solaris and Digital Unix,
 but it's not in the tcsh man page.